Thursday, March 5, 2009

We woke up this morning and the air was crisp and clean. It smelt like snow...or as much like snow as Australia can smell like! The wind was whispering through the Silky Oaks and I felt myself settle and become calm. I had an overwhelming urge to break out the stockpot and make Potato, Leak and Bacon Soup and put flannelette sheets on the bed. I just stopped myself from spontaneously singing Kumbaya!

For the first time in a long while, we had breakfast on the back deck and I treated everyone to homemade Double choc, berry and coconut muffins with lashings of hot tea and juice. I know, chocolate for breakfast buy hey, the kids are only young for a little while and soon they will be too "cool" to even eat breakfast! It was glorious with the wind whispering through the Silk Oaks and the native birds calling out.

I love this time of year. While most gardens are becoming bare and barren, mine is gearing up for a floral burst, with the Grevilleas and Banksias in full flower to feed the hungry hoardes of native birds that come down to indulge in the sweet nectar. I remember a neighbour commenting how her garden was sad in winter and I smiled because mine is bursting with life and colour. Did I mention I love Autumn??

Silky Oak, a favourite of mine. We have just planted one. Ok it will be taller than the house but I don't care!!!

Banksia Integrifolia with its unusual green flowers that turn yellow and then become evil Banksia Men. For years I hated Banksia trees as they were the most awful characters in May Gibbs famous "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie". Now I see the beauty in them and the fantastical shapes they become once they go to seed.
You can see where May got her inspiration from!

And here is my absolute favourite. Grevillea Honey Gem, a medium sized shrub with gorgeous bracts of huge flowers. Absolutely stunning, the contrast of the dark green pinned foliage to the eye popping gold is just awesome!!!
So happy Autumn everyone! I'll be thinking of all the American readers who are going into summer.
Cheers,
Cin






No comments: