Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Art Appreciation 101

September school holidays have been long and boring most of the time for my kids as I have had to work quite often. We've managed to fit in trips to the beach, the park, the Water Park and today I took the kidlets to the Museum and Art Gallery.

The museum is the boys' favourite place to visit. Aiden and Conor both love the animals and seeing all the bones and gross bits. I love identifying the birds that are around our area. Today they also had science experiments where the kids made whirlybirds and balancing clowns.

We also popped into the Gallery of Modern Art where the kids came across this giant sculpture by Ron Mueck, titled "In Bed". They were all fascinated and you could see them itching to touch and explore. I think we spent a good ten to fifteen minutes looking at this huge woman. Caitlin said that she thought the woman looked cold. Not a bad observation for an 11 year old.

After we came home, I showed them some more of Muecks work and the kids are absolutely fascinated by him and his take on humanity. A little bit of culture for the kids!

Cheers,
Cin

No comments: