Monday, March 21, 2011

7-8 Weeks

We're preparing for kitten countdown now. Titch has around 2 weeks to go and she is starting to really podge up. She is eating more than ever and has a very low tolerance for the other cats. Her nipples have completely changed shape and are no longer little bubbles. Now they are fat and elongated, like a christmas tree light shape, all the better for little tongues to squish against the roof of little mouths when feeding!

This week we will organise her nesting box. My cats usually use a cardboard box or one of my crates. Some of my queens prefer the complete blackness of the box and the soundproofing it provides. Others prefer the airiness of the crate with a blanket over the top. Either way we have heatpads for the babies when they arrive. My vet is usually on speed-dial and I also have oxytocin on hand. I only use it when a queen has stopped active labour for longer than a few hours.

I usually have a bag of saline from my vet and also have needles. I use the saline solution to hydrate struggling kittens and have also found it beneficial if I need to make up bottles. There is another product I like to keep on hand and its from a company called Rufus and Coco. Its a gut formula called Inner Balance and if I have to bottlefeed I always add a teeny bit to the bottle.

Are we ready, yeah I think we are...now we just have to get through the next three months!



No comments: