Saturday, January 24, 2009

Birds and Bees and Kittens

I have always been straight with everyone, I don't sugar coat stuff but I do explain things to the best of MY ability and to suit the age of the person I am talking to. I have often taken my kittens up to the kids school to show them off to the littlies in Grade 1 and Prep. So its fair to say that I often get sex questions from little kids. And I tell them as much of the truth as I can, if it gets too indepth or I feel its something their parents should be involved in, I tell them that its a question for Mummy or Daddy to answer.

That being said, Pearl went into labour while Caities 11 year old friend was over. Teag's was more than interested in the whole process but was hindered by Pearls desire to have the baby in the smallest darn space possible. Because I couldn't see what was going on, I had a feeling it was going to be a difficult birth. Poor Teagan and all my kids got to see the hard part of giving birth when the babies bag broke long before it was going to come out, it was a breach birth and the baby just wasn't coming out! So, in the absence of all politeness, I told them all to "Move, move, get outta the way!" We then had to drag the Mum out into the light (sigh) and help her to have her baby. Every push would produce a very purple pair of legs, caused by the circulation being cut off by the vulva contracting back around them. I gently grasped what I could and pulled steadily with Mums contractions. No she wasn't happy about that and told me so! Finally we had everything going well, baby was almost out...and then we discovered he had a huge boofy head. That took some getting out, with Mum yowling, me swearing, the kids gasping and finally, amid a gush of placenta and birth fluid, he arrived. And promptly sat up, gasped once, flopped down dramatically and stopped breathing!

Another sigh on my behalf and we went to work on him. We do it often as we don't like to take risks with our babies. Tony snipped the placenta and we kept it to look at later. Vigorous rubbing produced more gasps and then he took off. We placed him with Mum and the kids starting talking amid questions. They all were grossed out by the placenta until I unravelled it and explained how it worked and then it was just fascinating!
All the kids were fantastic and handled the tension well. There were no tears or dramatics and we ended up with one lovely little boy, who is at the moment nameless and four excited kids.

No comments: