Tuesday, April 19, 2011

POP goes the Devon

First though, a confession. I had no idea when Titch was due....cause I didn't write down what date she got mated. This is quite unusual for me because I am quite anal about that but she got mated twice. 2times....two....and everyone knows that queens need to be mated at least four times to produce enough hormone to encourage them to release their eggs. ( at least thats what I read somewhere LOL). AND Titch didn't pink up, there were no pink nipples. So I quite wisely deleted the information and forgot about it until she was roughly six weeks along and was quite fat!

That being said though, she remained a bit of an enigma and dug her bed and pretended to have contractions some two weeks before she gave birth.

Last night she was sitting beside me when she gave an almighty push. She gave no other signs that labour was imminent. I organised her crate and sat quietly beside her as she continued to move forward into full, active labour. The first baby was born, a lovely torbie bicoloured baby. Mum seemed more concerned with her own welfare rather than her babies so I quickly took over and revived the little one. Her brother arrived some ten minutes later. He was coldish blue colour with a silver sheen which had me stumped until he dried and became a chocolate silver tabby.

Around an hour later, number three arrived with her Angel Wings intact. She never took a breath, no matter how vigorously I tried to revive her. For anyone who takes breeding lightly and is in it for the money or for the joy of their children experiencing birth? Hold a dead kitten in your hand and marvel at its perfect but stillborn features. Yes, I shed a tear or two because this little one never had a chance.

An hour later number four popped out and is either a cream or white male. At this stage Mum settled down but still had some very strong contractions. By 2am I was quite concerned and bundled the new family up and flew to the vet. It cost me $165 to walk in the door and a little over $110 for the vet to tell me she had a tummy full of food! Cow....(gr)

Home by 3.30, in bed by 4am and now absolutely cactus.

SO...here are our stats.


Torbie girl- 70gr

Choc Silver boy- 90 gr

Dcd girl- 90 gr

Cream boy- 90 gr

A big litter alround!



Mum and her babies, settled in on the heat pad

The wee munchkins after their first bed change.


Now,if you will excuse me,my bed is calling!













No comments: